The conversion of solar energy into electricity is known as solar power. This conversion can be done directly by a photovoltaic system and indirectly by concentrated solar power. In a photovoltaic system, the sunlight is absorbed directly by solar panels where the solar energy is converted into separated charge flow to produce DC current. Then the DC current reaches an inverter where the DC current is converted into AC current.
Pros of solar power
- Solar power is pollution free and there is no radiation of greenhouse gases.
- The solar energy is renewable; hence the usage is not limited.
- With the help of solar power, we can reduce the electricity bill as much as possible.
- Once the solar panels are installed, maintenance of them will be less
- We can install the solar power plant in any area. Even if it is a remote place where there is no power facility, we can construct solar panels as the sunlight will be available everywhere.
- Since there are no moving parts on the panel, the sound pollution is negligible
- The solar power is said to be sustainable as we can be able to maintain the electricity at a certain level.
- The solar panels can be installed even on rooftops without any hindrance the people.
Cons of solar power
- Since installation cost of solar panels is high, everybody cannot buy or install solar panels.
- If the solar panel needs maintenance, the cost of it will be high.
- Since they are dependent on weather, we cannot receive the same amount of electric power all the time.
- When we try to create a solar plant we need a wide area of space to build it.
- The installation of panels need free space, if trees or buildings are blocking the sunlight then the power production will not be up to the desired level.